Re: [developers] SVN freeze on Tuesday 9 July 2015

Acl per directory is not possible in git unlike svn for a simple reason.
Svn treats each subdirectory as a repo (each subdirectory contains .svn
folder) on git this feature is called git sub-modules and it's considered
evil and should only be used when it's actually needed.

Why? Each repo should be at a well-known state. In svn this is not possible
because each sub-directory can be at whatever random revision for example
you can have myrepo/dir1 at revision #2 and myrepo/dir2 at revision #30 and
for sure no testing was made on all those crazy combinations for all
directories.

In git a repo as whole would be at a known state that was tested using some
kind of CI/CD (continuous integration / deployment) like Jenkins.

> Dev can't handle svn
I myself and linus too could not handle cvs. It's broken by design why
blame them. On the other hand git is difficult at first then after the
threshold it just work(tm)