Re: Thwab's data "license" [WAS: Re: Thwab final release]

as-salamu alaykom,
On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 02:20:06PM +0300, Ahmed El-Mahmoudy wrote:
>   What's missing is finishing the debian/copyright file, I need help
>   with the exact paragraph about the copyright of the books.

  I was just talking to one of the Debian mentors, he said that, if the
  license will be like bro Anas mentioned,

> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 11:50:09AM +0300, Anas Husseini wrote:
>  Nobody is allowed to modify the original source of books, but it is possible to modify the
>  copy included in Thwab if there any differences (mistakes) between the copy and the original
>  source. Furthermore, any reference to one (or more) of Thwab-lib
>  Data is not allowed unless it is copied as it is.

  then the package should be put in non-free.
  Actually we should be sure wether the books are compliant with the
  Debian Free Software Guidelines
  (http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines)
  or not to decide if it is to be put in non-free or not.

  Please also have a look at this discussion:
  (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=338077) , I don't
  understand if this applies to our case or not.

  Also if we should make sure if the books are indeed FDL or not.
  Because if they are not, then brother Moayyad should change the
  license he puts in the preface/intro of the books in thwab-data.

  These legal issues are too much for me to understand, I hope bro
  Moayyad & anyone else who understand legal issues would help out.