Re: Summer of Code

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 07:04:04PM +0000, Djihed Afifi wrote:

> > > +1 for Siragi
> > >

> +1
>
> Although I don't think one student can do it all, it should probably be
> divided into two subprojects.

That's why I said: At least one of its missing bits.

> > * Copy and paste between openoffice and firefox?
>
> Arabic text or any? if general then that's probably best left for them.

I only tried with Arabic. I'm not sure whether it was between OOo and FF or konqueror.

> > * Printing plain text files from the command line.
>
> lpr? Does cups not handle Arabic? Also there are many ways to preprocess
> plain text before sending to a printer.
> Sorry for the bold question.

It won't do bidi and shaping.

> > * bidi and shaping for gnome terminal
>
> That's libvte, I talked to Behdad about this and he thinks:
> 1 - It's not worthy as a SoCP
> 2 - gnome-terminal will switch to pango at some point anyway.
>
> But I can't help but speculate that:
> 1- He finds it's too easy because he is good.
> 2- The pango move will happen in years...

move to pango ? Hmmmm. is there a preliminary patch somewhere ?
The current implementation IIRC is drawing each character without considering the surroundings.

What about fribidi ?

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950
Proud Egyptian GNU/Linux User Group <www.eglug.org> Member.