Re: Fw:obuntu & arabic fonts

Khaled,
I don't think we have discussed before. I'm glad to see someone is
working on font development.

FYI, i have developed a Quran font that have complete symbol to render
the Madinah Mushaf. You can find it at arabicfonts.wikisapces.com.

As for the issues of small size display, I have a different opinion.
In my opinion, hinting may not be the best solution. Instead, you may
want to try embedding bitmap into the font. I have done this. You can
see my font (modified from kacst) at
http://mrykacstqurn.wikispaces.com/ that have the exact feature. At
the moment, it only has 2 bitmap sizes, which is 16px and 21px ( I
think, could not remember anymore). If you are interested to know
more, I'm willing to share my experience.

Regards.

We are actively working on to solve all issues related to Arabic fonts,
we are aware of the size problem of Arabic fonts being unreadable at
small sizes, I don't think this is a Linux only problem, but we might
try to scale up the glyphs to increase their sizes at small point. I
believe that the long run solution is to "hint" our fonts, but this is rather a
time consuming process and needs more manpower than what we actually
have currently.

--
Khaled