Re: Siragi project

Hi,

Thanks to Nadim for suggestions. Thanks to all people interested in SIRAGI project.

An explication of my "inner silence". At this moment I'm involved in an important business project in Moroco. In a few months, all morrocan banks should transmit image checks instead of the paper. The delay of payment will be always 2 days instead of 2 to 30 days in the worse case. The monetary authority sets next september/october as a deadline to migrate to the new system. In my company, our customer is the biggest commercial bank in Morocco. My work is to lead a team of developpers, users and other stakeholders to make our client/bank meet the next deadline in the best conditions. I worked on this project since last april and will continue till next december.

Why I'm talking about all that ? Just to tell my friends intersted in OCR project : please be patient. I'm busy but the project is not dead. There is some work done in segmentation. We should now make a classification program (using NN or other mean) and join the two sides and see what is the output. If we have a 40% or 50% of good recongnition, it will be a good beggining ;-) Commercial products for *latin* characters recognize 99% of characters in a text. But this is not an issue for us.

There is a design of the project here http://siragi.sourceforge.net/design/ and some doc and source code in CVS http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/siragi/. If you are interested either in encapsulating existing source code or in writing a new code, just drop us a line in this mailing list to tell us which class/method are you going to write and what's the method's prototype. It's important to communicate your method/function definition (prototype not implementation) to be sure that all pieces of program could be linked correctly. And it's important to communicate via this ML to avoid double work.

There is also a work to be done prior to train a NN : produce a set of arabic characters as a bitmap shapes.

Let's recap  what could be done to contribute in SRAGI project :

- complete and correct the design of project
- encapsulate in classes some existing function according to the design
- create new methods/classes based on existing design
- create a simple/good GUI (and design it before)
- produce a set of bitmap arabic characters to be used in NN
- produce a NN using SNNS
- etc.

Again thanks to all developers and sorry for this long "silence radio" !

Regards
Tarik
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nadim Shaikli" <shaikli at yahoo dot com>