Re: OpenOffice 2.0/ StarOffice 8.0

Dear Waleed,

Happy Eid.

Your timing is perfect with regards to a migration effort taking place in Palestine. With support from the Ministry of Telecom. & IT, people in government are actively being switched and encouraged to switch over to OO2.0 as their main office suite. In some cases, the change is more drastic involving switching the entire OS. Kubuntu 5.10 to be exact.

There is nothing to indicate usability problems at this point. Some minor changes were needed to select a better looking default font, and enable Arabic file names to show up properly in the open/save dialog boxes of OO2.0. Training is a must, I believe. There are a few discrepancies here and there that can be confusing to non-technical users. A simple walk through and maybe an online help guide, with the MS Office user in mind, will be sufficient in most cases since the concepts are really the same.

Arabic support has come a long way, and is very good so far. But there's room for improvement, especially with regards to the import/export features to and from MS based formats. PDF exporting also needs some work, but I'm not aware of the details at this point.

One critical missing feature is Arabic spell-check and grammar check. I know these are not exactly perfect in MS Office, but they exist and many people depend on them to a certain extent. Many have sited these missing feature as reasons not to make the switch to OO2.0.

I hope you find these simple comments useful.

Regards,
Ammar Ali;

Waleed Hosny wrote:

Hi All,
I would like to wish all of you a happy Eid vacation. I am interested to get some feeling about your evaluation of Arabic support in OO2.0/SO 8.0.
Things like:

- Is it usable from the user interface point of view?
- Is it easy for users to switch to OO/SO? or do users needs training to switch to OO/SO?
- Are you satisfied with the current Arabic support?
- What Arabic features do you like to see in next releases?

I would appreciate all your comments/experience.

Thanks in advance.