CUPS - closure

Salam Ahmad.K, I'm about to talk about your favorite topic -- CUPS so
don't tune out :-)

Ahmad, we really need to settle this topic and we have a few people
that are rather eager to complete this topic once-in-for all.  Could
you please give us a short summary of what was done and what continues
to be an obstacle ?  I remember that fonts were a serious topic regarding
this issue, but surely we can circumvent it somehow (possibly by asking
assistance from the Open Source community at large to lend a helping
hand).

So sorry to rehash the old, but we need this topic closed and completed.
Having half-baked answers/solutions just isn't fulfilling ;-)