Re: Quran data and issues in encoding the Quran in unicode

I don't agree with some basic points about all this. As I understand it
Unicode wants to move from what has become a glyph-based coding over to a
semantic-based encoding, and allow the font technology to worry about the
glyphs. Fine.

However, Thomas et al. seem to be determined to pursue the opposite in terms
of tanween and tajweed related marks. Tanween is semantically totally
different to a fatha or one fatha followed by another. It is a semantic
character of its own and deserves codes of its own. Iqlaab, ikhfaa, madd etc
are tajweed marks that govern the pronounciation of the arabic and each
carries a full semantic load. It should be possible to encode these
semantically loaded objects in any textual representation of quran. If the
Unicode consortium is not interested in encoding one of the most common books
in the world then a further code standard must be developed on top of the
unicode one. Hacks like placing two characters next to each other to
'inspire' the font renderer to display a third semantically different
character just don't cut it.

If Unicode really is about semantics and not glyphs, then let's have that then
please and give us a code-point per semantic load. If instead we have to hack
around with glued-together glyphs to try and indicate missing meaning, then
we should look elsewhere.

If anyone is interested (on the safe assumption that Unicode is not interested
in that) then perhaps we could discuss such a code extension here.

Abdulhaq