Re: Arabbix's working plan

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:06:59AM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
> > OK, now whan of the problems I have in mind is which distro we'll
> > be basing arabbix on ?
> >
> > The initial idea was to base on morphix, Morphix is a good known base, And
> > is well tested, However since gnome 2.4 had problems regarding Arabic and
> > there is no morphix 2.6 module, I think I have no idea what to do.
> > I won't be building our main modules for multiple reasons:
> > 1) It won't be tested enough.
> > 2) I don't have enough hardware to do it
> > 3) We want Arabbix not to be an ISO only, But to be a set of instructions,
> >    You follow the instructions and build your own version of arabbix.
> >
> > So I need advise regarding the above point.
>
> What other options are there (have other distros been looked into for
> them to actually be alternatives) ?  Has Morphix's maintainer been
> probed/pinged regarding this matter (ie. Gnome-2.6 module) - what have
> his comments/plans been ?

IMHO we hace: gnoppix, ubuntu, morphix. I didn't try gnoppix, Any feedback ?
I think that they are waiting to release the stable base then start building modules.

> > We need,
> > - Build mini modules for the arabeyes projects.
>
> I think we need instructions on how to do this - or maybe do a project
> as a showcase for others to look at and mimic.

No, The instructions are there on the morphix website, I'm not going to copy and paste the instructions.

> > - Graphics.
>
> Be more specific ?  What is it that you'd like to see - are we going
> after a particular theme or ...

Background, bootsplash ?

> > - I'll be documenting the whole procedure when we start building it.
>
> Great - finally :-)
>
> > PS. I really hope we can discuss this on the wiki, I think I'll be
> > using our historical wiki[1] for it since arabeyes wiki is not available
> > now.
>
> Arabeyes' wiki is now back online and is functional (it does now require
> one to get an account from Elzubeir in order to be able to write to it
> though).

I don't like the idea but OK no problem.

> I'm not getting the sense that people know how to contribute and/or what
> to pick up and do in order to help.  You might want to outline some things
> as part of your planning on what you'd like to get done and see who'd
> volunteer to help out.

1st, We need to decide a distro which we'll base on, That's the most important thing ATM.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer, Arabbix Maintainer.