Re: Arabbix initial roadmap.

--- Alaa Abd El Fattah <alaa at eglug dot org> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:19:34 +0300
> Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:
> now in the process of promoting ones organization the idea of having a
> branded livecd pops up every now and then, we thought it would not be a
> wise idea to have several arabized live CDs with only minor differences
> and mostly branding and themeing differences.

Arabbix, as has been noted, will be a modularized entity as such there
is nothing stopping people from taking bits and pieces of it and churning
their own ISO with their own value-add.  Another way to think of this is
Mozilla's Gecko engine or morphix -- lots of people are using those
applications as springboards to something else, same here.

> > * Arabbix'll include ALL the software by arabeyes.org EXCEPT any
> > religious software, I wanted to add it, But It won't be added per LLUG
> > request.
>
> now this is too extreme, I think it would server arabeyes best if all
> projects arabeyes is involved in are present.

Again, the inclusion of exclusion of something is entirely upto the group
that is creating an off-shoot.  Arabbix will have to include all the bits
and pieces in various logical modules - developers and ISO-creators will
then decide what to include/exclude at their leisure.

> so my suggestion is to have a core arabeyes module which is what all
> interested parties agree on, then additional arabeyes modules that third
> parties can discard (just put religious stuff in an arabeyes_religion
> minimodule).

Perfect.

> * After we reach a stable release no more updates'll be done
> > except when major software packages are rolled out:
> >  - OpenOffice
> >  - The latest 100% arabised version of GNOME "as arabbix'll be based
> >  on GNOME, though it can be easely adapted via morphix mainmodules"-
> >  Morphix base updates.- Any 3 arabeyes applications outdated in
> >  arabbix- upon the release of an application that is considered vital
> >  such as the C++ version of duali.
> > * Arabbix'll contain ONLY FLOSS as defind by the DFSG.
> > * Arabbix'll always have the latest 100% arabised version of GNOME.
>
> it may be beneficial one day to have a KDE module under the auspice of
> the arabbix project, but we'll wait for volunteers to work on that.

Sure, this is definitely the right way to think about it :-)  All
these modules should also reside in Arabbix's CVS.  I guess another
way to think about it is we're "theme'ing" a LiveCD distro where
the themes are more related to the functionality of said product
vs. look-n-feel (although the later is of course theme'able as well).

M.Sameer, one _key_ neglected mention is 'documentation'.  In order to
bring people upto speed and in order to really pull-in enough community
involvement the entire process (and I do mean entire) should be very well
documented so that anyone can "cook" their own ISO -- we don't want to
have 1 or 2 people privilaged with the info who are tasked with doing
things.  Keep in mind that one of the goals is to learn and teach others
about the process -- this will also easily identify key areas where people
can quickly jump-in and start helping.

Keep up the great work.