Re: Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk> wrote:
>  --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote: >
> > 2. miniBidi must quickly comply/conform to the entire
> >    standard
>
> 'Must'? Hopefully. We have an excellent record on the 'quickly' thing.
> Please give an estimate of time (either core or miniBiDi maintainer).

This is in Ahmad.Khalifa's hands and those that want to be of assistance
to him and the project.  But this very much is a high priority requirement.

> > Because this could lead to bottle-necks, a deadline would be given to
> > have the external project make a final decision. If during this time,
> > they would still not consider FriBiDi, miniBiDi would automatically be
> > used.
>
> .. assuming that we can choose for them if they passed the deadline.
> You mean really people like CUPS will hesitate to choose for some time
> and then we will decide for them?

No, what is meant is that if fribidi is rejected by the external
application (for any reason) it will be upto Fribidi's people to
convince them otherwise within a pre-set reasonable period of time
(intent here is to have a systematic means to resolve this issue
and for it not to drag this potential stalemate too long).

> Let this be clear. If a project wishes to use miniBiDi (due to license
> issues or some other reasons) this will get us in a number of problems:
> - They use miniBiDi
> - miniBiDi is either conforming or not. If it is not, we will have
>   a large number of bugs related, which will keep software not compliant
>   for ages to come. This is a no-no.
> - If miniBiDi is compliant, fine and good. Notice that this means
>   we will have to maintain it: squash any bugs that appear, and
>   tracking the Unicode standard which will probably change (slowly)
>   from time to time.

There are a couple of things to note that would nullify all your points
(well maybe not nullify 'em but resolve 'em :-).  Those are,

 + miniBidi will be 100% (or similar) spec compliant (no ifs/buts about it).
 + miniBidi will be actively maintained and developed on Arabeyes by
   Ahmad.K (and others ?).