Re: Fwd: [ xchat-Bugs-956606 ] LANGUAGE=ar xchat bug

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 03:50 pm, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2004, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > Xchat 2 is gtk+2 I think.
> >
> > I am using xchat xchat 2.0.7 and
> > # ldd /usr/bin/xchat
> >         libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x40029000)
> >
> > Isn't this a proof?
>
> So simply grab the latest Gtk+ (Gtk+-2.4) and it works like a
> charm.

If it's a GTk+ bug then this bug should be available in all GTK+ apps. This
bug (Typing English in xchat appears RTL when LANGUAGE=ar) is only available
in xchat. Up to now, Ahmed khalifa's explanation of the paragraph level tends
to be the most convincing. xchat need to calculate the paragraph level
depending upon the input text not upon the env variables.

karouri, weak characters should have nothing to do with this bug because if
the paragraph level is set to 0 the weak characters should appear properly,
right?

After reading part of the BiDi algorithm, I need some answers to understand
BiDi and Unicode better which will help in filing bugs later.

- Why do we have AL and R? what's the difference between right-to-left in
Aabic and Hebrew?

- Why do we have characters such as Arabic full stop which is different than
an English fullstop?

- I think the thread which spoke about a poor BiDi implementation ends in the
conclusion it's not BiDi fault but implementation fault, if any, right?
Karouri, do you think typing C++ in an Arabic contex which prints ++C is a
bug? I personally thinks it's not but may be I didn't understood weak
characters well, or you want a plug sign to be classified as a strong
character which will cause more problems AFAIK.

---
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/mdkarabicsupport-en/
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA