Re: Font help

Type 1 specification:
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/T1_SPEC.PDF

also see:

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/type/ftechnotes.jsp

Postscript Specification:

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/PLRM.pdf

The best way to find more is to do a search from the adobe.com site rather
than google.

I don't know exactly what you're trying to do but it seems to me that the best
thing, as you say, is to create a font with arabic presentation glyphs only.
Forget about any latin characters. Make sure that CUPS is taking all UTF
0xFExx characters and then mapping them into the range 1 - 255. Perhaps an
algorithm such as charcode = 0xFExx - 0xFE6F or something like that. Then
create the font based on a standard Latin encoding, e.g. char 0x41  = 'A'.
Then put glyph (0xFE70 + 0x41) = (isolated HAH?) into the 'A' position. You
need to get hold of the standard adobe encoding, so you know where to put
each glyph, I think. If not, you will need to provide your own encoding which
is best avoided, I believe.

However, bearing in mind that you're using a conversion tool, the position of
each glyph is not entirely in your control I suppose.

This is all assuming lots of things that I've probably got wrong but maybe it
will provide a few hints.

wassalaam