Re: putty6.2 shapes, bidi testing

From: Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com>
--- ahmad khalifa <ahmadkhalifa at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> shaping issues:
> + space after LAA is converted to KASRA, i was trying something.
> + char immediately before LAA is not shaped...

Yup, I confirm both ;-)

> bidi issues:
> + lines that are Left aligned (i.e start with Left chars), the
>    arabic at the rest of the line is not flipped correctly..

Confirmed.

Fixed... thanks to a hint from behdad...

> + characters that are BIDIed are english and arabic only...
> + lacks mirroring. (TODO)

Not sure what mirroring means here.

mirroring mostly applies to characters like '(', ')', '<', '>'... check the CapRTL screenshot... no mirroring there..

> + some issue around parenthesis...
Yup, saw some oddities with regard to parentheses.

Fixed...

I also saw some oddities with regard to line breaks (if you have a long
text line - the break doesn't happen where one would expect - no biggie).
In ar_utf8, less the file and note the very last line to see what I mean.
This is most definitely NOT a priority.

havent tried that yet...

Ahmad, you had noted that putyy will be 80 characters wide max - that is
not necessarily true and so you should not always consider that to be the
norm (I was running it as 115x25 for instance :-).

i meant on average... i meant that its hard to exceed the 61 explicit levels limit on a line that averages at 80 chars...

anyway, ScreenShots available here, (thanks to Osax) :))

http://art.arabeyes.org/external/

the first, putty1 is putty using CapRTL character set...
you can compare it to these results...
http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/ucdata.html

the second, putty2 is doing shaping and using latin
and arabic charactersets for Bidi...

btw, mirroring is not yet implemented...

ak.