Re: ITL php code

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:39:51 -0700 (PDT), Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Omar Abo-Namous <merlin12345 at gmx dot de> wrote:
>> i've been looking into the whole php-library thing the last two days
>> or so, but come up with nothing really useful.... i'm not used to
>> makefiles, 'building' and so on...
>
> Sounds like you are asking for some help :-)  Can anyone familiar with
> PHP and its dl() present Omar with a solution in which the ITL library
> is loaded (in its C format) and is made accessible to some PHP widget ?

yes, i am! If anyone wrote and compiled a php-library or if anyone have seen a
HOWTO on php-libraries, then please respond, would be nice, i get nothing off of
google and the small intro on php.net didn't 'satisfy' me=i didn't understand it
fully :)

>> as of now, i've downloaded the php-source and cygwin (which i don't know
>> exactly what it does except for porting some unix-tools to windows (grep)).
>> I've tried reading the directives by php.net on how to compile a library,
>> but that didn't get me anywhere.
>
> You should really consider moving (or at least have a secondary partition)
> to linux.  Cygwin ought to work just as well (although I have no direct
> experience on it and certainly not with web-related applications) to
> compile source, etc.

I've tried under cygwin, but no can do. Especially the make-script isn't
available. Then i started a vm and run knoppix. Under knoppix i was able to
"make" but i don't know where he put the so-file...

>> i think it is more efficient to keep the php-files updated. I can take
>> this challenge, it's not very difficult to translate from c to php..
>
> Its not a question of efficiency as much as keeping with the idiom of
> how libraries should be used.  This might be difficult to figure out,
> but once done you'd have 2 options with which to proceed.

Nadim, if the point is getting the library up-to-date, i can do that. I could
respond to every change in the original library and change the php-code. It's
much simpler. I#ve got nothing against learning new things, but we should
consider, if this would help in any way...

Salam.

Omar