Debian installer Status

Hello All:

It came to my attention that there is a lot of confusion as to what is hapening with Arabic support on the Debian installer. Well here it is:

1. Debian developers (Stever and Christian) are know working on perfecting the bidi,shaping code for slang (slang is the text based tool the render the text, draws the boxes...etc). You can see a pic here:

http://mail.arabbix.org/~anmar/tmp/arabic-screenshot.png

I am not sure as to when the next release of Debian installer will be out. But I am almost sure that it will have Arabic support.

Translation effort is back in action. We are trying to finish stage1 of the installer (stage 1 has the basic HD detection, network setup...etc). The other two stages (2 and 3) are nice to have but not necessary.

Once the Debian installer Arabic support is finished, my next job is to push the Debian group to adopt the new slang patch along with fribidi to be added to the frozen base of Debian Sarge and Sid. This will allow us to localise projects like dselect, pppconfig, debconf...etc. In addition, I will be talking to the slang upstream maintainer to add the patch so newer versions will have Arabic built in :)

I encourage all developers to get the slang patch and pass it on to other distributions if they are not willing to wait for the next release of slang (assuming the patch gets accepted)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Anmar