Re: Backspace in BiCon (a bug?)

On Yaum al-Ahad 17 Rabi` al-Thaani 1425 06:31 pm, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
>  --- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa> wrote:

> > > Test 1:
> > > execute bicon as 'bicon sd' then enter

In a terminal: bicon sd gives
Error:            Can't find file "pc/sd" for symbols include
                  Exiting
                  Abandoning symbols file "(null)"
Error:            success in unknown
                  Couldn't write keyboard description to :0.0
BiCon started

> > which proves the BACSPACE is working properly here.

Sorry! I meant to say it does delete a character not a byte.

> So it is working internally. In terms of visual appearance what happens?
> Using the word صبر for example. In my machine if I press the letters ص then
> ب then ر then BACKSPACE then ر I see on the screen رصب that is the last
> character is not linked to the ones before, no shaping. If I try to write
> an Arabic word and then move using arrow keys the output is even worse.

Same here.

> What I meant is that under bicon use the command cat with no input or
> output. What will happen is that if you key in any characters then pressed
> enter the characters will be typed back to you in the screen. Try inputting
> the same sequence of characters including the backspace and report if the
> next output line is the same as the previous.

No, it's not. It echoed this instead:
эؘﺐﺻ

> Don't worry. I have already enough bugs at my disposal:) Please do me this
> test again. I need to know if it is a specifity in my machine or
> everywhere.
>
> By the way, please do the above tests in the console mode not in an x
> terminal.

In Mandrake 10, I couldn't type a single arabic character from the console
(VT) and hence can only test from a terminal. You can see the bug I filed at
bicon bugzilla and re-read the funny story of the black hole that  wants to
absorb me at console ;)

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/mdkarabicsupport-en/
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA