Re: ITL Prayer Time

Thamer, the new changes sound great, but I still have some concerns (please
be patient with me).

I know that I don't know anything about astronomy but I did do a physics
degree so I can talk mathematics (but I really DON'T know anything about
astronomy).

I take your point about libnova not being a VSOP87 implementation in respect
of these calculations (it does however provide VSOP87 for geometric solar
coordinates etc).

However, I'd still like to put my mind to rest in this important matter. The
yanabi website claims to have times accurate to +- 2 seconds, and also seems
to very closely conform to the libnova generated data. I can't find any
mention of marsbase.net claiming to use VSOP87 in its calculation. My point
is that our times (ITL, abdali etc) are varying, as you point out, by
minutes and yet it seems as if it is possible to calculate the time to the
nearest two seconds.

The yanabi website only gives its answers to the nearest minute, which is
rounded up for maghrib and down for shuruq. Also, dhuhr time is adjusted for
the full disc of the sun to move off the highest point. This explains the
discrepancy you found between libnova and yanabi for instance.

Anyway, I'll wait to see your changes and how the calculations compare after
that. If you stick with the current general technique then I'd like to know
the maximum error so that I can account for it, inshaa'allah. I can perhaps
work this out experimentally after you finish. Have you found any data
source which gives real actual times that we can use for comparison
purposes? Libnova has a test suite but it doesn't seem to cover this issue.

Of course no solution is perfect, allahu a`lam, but I'd like it to be as good
as is reasonably possible. If there is anything I can do to help out then
let me know (although I appreciate that it is unlikely). In the mean time I
will try to put a script together that does a more wholesale comparison of
the different programs.

I apologise if my coming back to these issues is annoying. I realise that
there are the same problems with the algorithm I am using at the moment, but
you've spurred me on to try and get the best solution to this issue.

wassalaam
abdulhaq