Re: Prayer Time in Java

--- Thamer Mahmoud <thamer at newkuwait dot org> wrote:
> Gaurav Chhabra writes:
> > I have converted the Prayer Time code available on arabeyes.org in Java.
> > I have tested it with a demo program. Please find attached the java files
> > incase you want to upload it to arabeyes.
>
> I'm not sure what Arabeyes.org's policy for ports is. I'm CC'ing their
> developer mailing list for an answer. My guess is that we should
> probably add an "extra" folder within the ITL project that should hold
> such side projects (Java port, prayer reminder script ..etc).

We can import it (given the license, etc are all in order) but we'd like
to make sure that people are using ITL as a _library_ and are not simply
porting the C code to their favorite application language (PHP, Java,
perl, python, etc).  I'm not very familiar with Java per se, but this
issue (brought-up not too long ago with regard to PHP :-) seems to be a
pretty fundamental one.  The new imported code (if/when) will require a
maintainer.

> On a side note, I'm currently coding/testing a couple of updates to
> what's currently on CVS. My current plan is that if all went well with
> the testing inshallah, there will be no significant changes to the
> prayer part of ITL *after* the 0.6 release. Except for bug fixing and
> other small updates.

We'll need to truly break ITL's CVS content to be in the its two
pre-defined categories,

 a. library
 b. application(s)

Its currently a single release tarball (will need it to be 2 in the future).
I'll try to work on this in the background (no data or history will be lost).

Ayman Negm had noted (on IRC a looong time ago) that he'd be willing to
suggest a good way to package our releases so they make sense (for inclusion
in various distros, etc) - Ayman, speak up and let us know :-)