Re: Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

On Jun 1, 2004, at 08:24 PM, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:

For the record, this is because I probably need support for devices which do
not support shared libraries. This point is subject to discussion with probable sponsers. Definitely not because I like MIT/BSD licenses.

Ok?

Well, I think I am not paid enough at Arabeyes:)

[...]

One of the main reasons I come here is to support open source and to make much
use of available resources, not to duplicate work.

Yet you say things like: "I am not paid enough ....".

Examples:
- Arabization/translation issues, we are putting our rules regardless ofthe
zillion Arabic/language departments in the Arab world. Assuming that nobody is
teaching computer in Arabic before.

- Let's redo FriBiDi.

I didn't agree with this, and I do not agree with this at all (technically and politically). As a contributor and developer to this project, it's my right to choose what I would like and not like to give a helping hand to, and I didn't decide to help with miniBiDi (I find it to be a redundant project).

In the future, we might have educational benefits from this project however, so it shouldn't be killed, but also should not be used actively.

Proof of concept. Tell me what do I gain from Arabeyes so I host my work there. And by the way, some times people fork just because they want to be agreeable to big brother, who doesn't approve of their license.

Hrm? Can you be specific?

What do you mean, "What do I gain from Arabeyes"? Why are you here? Why do you act like you care for open-source when you want to gain something other than the programming experience? I do not mean to pet my ego, but I've been in your situation before and wisely decided not to leave.

It involved some rude and selfish behavior from a certain core member, I was seriously pissed off and was a hair away from leaving this project. You know what I realized? Arabeyes cannot afford it. The reason Arabeyes has been doing reasonably well is that because there are no such things as "forks", everything is centralized, and a skilled open-source developer interested in Arabization issues has one source to help and confer to. This meta-project is a, true, melting pot of Arabization efforts. Don't change this (yes, you are like this). You want to "fork" your own maintained project? Where is the logic in that? Please, think about what you're doing. You will find many developers will stand by you in some things, and that -core@ is more reasonable than you think (really, they _are_ human). :)

 Samy Al Bahra | samy at kerneled dot org

      '------> http://samy.kerneled.org