Re: bicon

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 04:51:10AM +0000, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> Salaam,
>
> The first alpha of bicon is live.
> You can download the file http://www.geocities.com/malkarouri/bicon.tar.gz
> ,where you will find the 0.01 version of bicon.
> Actually this is not a release, but te current working code.

Cool. Try to put a date on those things (since it looks like you will be
sending out several of them ;)

And oh man, _please_ try to make things untar into a dir instead of
dumping things into my pwd! Now look at this mess I have to clean up ;)

> What is already done
> --------------------
> * Problem of license solved
> The offending code was replaced with code taken from the Python library, which
> is GPL compatible. It as been checked.

Excellent ;)

> * Initial use of autotools in the project
> Autotools were used; they are now responsible for fjoining, fconsole and bicon,
> and working successfully.

Let's see now.. Not for me ;) what autotools versions specifically?

> What should be done now
> -----------------------
> * We need CVS for it

Certainly, with licensing issue resolved, no reason to keep you putting
them up for download in the middle of nowhere (geocities) ;)

> * Somebody use a proper bootstrap instead of kbootstrap
> * I already made an arab.kmap.gz. It should be corrected. And we need an arabic
> font.

I believe the font that comes with it is sufficient for Arabic (I have
tested it some time back). If not, I recall you showing me something on
RH's console (in a University of Khartoum computer lab) where it had
Arabic fonts (something about non-joining, etc.). So, where are those
fonts? The reason being, Akka's fonts format is obsolete and I have no
idea what I can open them up with to port them to a new format.

> [..]

What I gather is that we can now put it on CVS. However, before an
intial alpha release, after Behdad's blessing, we need to:

0. Fix up autotools thing (or rather, fine-tune)
1. Remove bash-ism
2. Update fonts (if those are really insufficient -- otherwise rename
   them to something more meaningful)

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |