Re: PuTTY & Bidi (was - C program...)

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:25:30PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> > from what I understand from PuTTY's authors (search the list
> > archives here for previous discussions and threads), they want
> > a BiDi implementation that is OS-agnostic. That essentially
> > means that whatever MS provides is a no-no. Else, it would
> > have been implemented a long time ago ;)
>
> Really ?  Could you please provide some URLs.  I can't see why

Yes, really. You personally paraphrased Simon's view on this on the
list.

http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2002/June/msg00054.html

> Putty would want to do that since it would increase the size
> of the currently tiny application for the relative benefit of
> a very small audience.  I would think it would be more to Putty's
> benefit to rely on windows' native bidi calls - but then again,
> lots of things don't make sense :-)

2 reasons come to mind. The ability to port putty to different platforms
in the future and the attempt to keep putty's behavior _very_ similar to
xterm.

I also don't think it would make such a significant impact on the size.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |