[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Arabic OCR info
- To: Ahmed Elgammal <elgammal at cs dot umd dot edu>, Mohammad Khorsheed <Mohammad dot Khorsheed at cl dot cam dot ac dot uk>, William Clocksin <William dot Clocksin at cl dot cam dot ac dot uk>, Doug Oard <oard at glue dot umd dot edu>, Bill Byrne <byrne at jhu dot edu>, Mahomed Fahmy <Mfahmy at sci dot uob dot bh>, Haytham El-Messiry <hmessiry at mesrta dot egnet dot net>, Badr Al-Badr <badr at anet dot net dot sa>, Issam Bazzi <issam at mit dot edu>
- Subject: Arabic OCR info
- From: nadim at arabeyes dot org (Nadim Shaikli)
- Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:41:27 -0800
- Cc: developer at arabeyes dot org
Apologies in advance to pick on you gentlemen, but after some web
research it was apparent that the Arabic OCR research community
was rather small and centered around those included (do please
let us know if we missed anyone that we should contact).
a grassroots not-for-profit Open Source volunteer community, is
looking into Arabic OCR solutions and we'd be indebted to you if
you can help us a bit with the following questions,
1. To your knowledge, are there any Open Source Arabic OCR
solutions available ? If so, can you please provide a
URL and some contact info ?
2. To your knowledge, are there any resources we could use
(papers, books, published algorithms, etc) to implement
something on our own ? Any leads would be helpful.
3. To your knowledge, is there a group or an effort that we
can get involved with to attain an Open Source Arabic OCR
solution (given one doesn't already exists) ?
4. To your knowledge, which of the various Open Source OCR
solutions (that do not include Arabic support) is the most
advanced and is worth pursuing and augmenting (from the
likes of GOCR, ClaraOCR, etc).
We thank you profusely in advance for your help. Do please CC
the 'developer' list on your replies.
Regards & Salam.