Re: Arabic OCR

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 15:41, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> > I am almost sure there is no such thing as an Open
> > Source Arabic OCR.
> [...]
> >

> Thought there may not be ready software, but
> discussions are on may lead to the creation of one.
> Doing a quick search on google, I found:
> Topic: A paper that "introduces a statistical approch
> for the recognition of Arabic caracters".
> URL  :
> http://www.ici.ro/ici/revista/sic2001_3/art4.html
>
> Topic: Some softwares from SA
> URL  :
> http://ceri.kacst.edu.sa/webpage/software_a_3.htm
>
> Topic: How to encode image produced by a recognition
> system?
> URL  :
> http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/general/2002/March/msg00001.html
>
> Topic: Graph based segmentation
> URL  :
> http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~elgammal/pub/ACR_ICDAR01_final.pdf
>
> Off Topic: Some Arabic related URLs:
> URL      : http://www.elsnet.org/index.html
>
> Maybe we can look at any of the existing OCR programs
> available (gOCR?) and see the possibility of
> supporting Arabic.
>
> Ossama

While the links will be very useful to get the ball running, I believe
the scientific/academic status is even more advanced than this. This
actually translates to me to there is *no* Arabic open source OCR.
Better to use existing OCR. Is gOCR active? From some googling there is
Clara OCR and ocrad (gnu ocr). Any body knows anything about that?

Regards,

Muhammad Alkarouri