Re: Arabic OCR

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> I am almost sure there is no such thing as an Open
> Source Arabic OCR.
[...]

Thought there may not be ready software, but
discussions are on may lead to the creation of one.
Doing a quick search on google, I found:
Topic: A paper that "introduces a statistical approch
for the recognition of Arabic caracters".
URL  :
http://www.ici.ro/ici/revista/sic2001_3/art4.html

Topic: Some softwares from SA
URL  :
http://ceri.kacst.edu.sa/webpage/software_a_3.htm

Topic: How to encode image produced by a recognition
system?
URL  :
http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/general/2002/March/msg00001.html

Topic: Graph based segmentation
URL  :
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~elgammal/pub/ACR_ICDAR01_final.pdf

Off Topic: Some Arabic related URLs:
URL      : http://www.elsnet.org/index.html

Maybe we can look at any of the existing OCR programs
available (gOCR?) and see the possibility of
supporting Arabic.

Ossama