Re: Arabic OCR

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 08:54, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > Does anyone know of an Open Source application that is
> > capable of Arabic OCR (Optical Character Recognition) ?
>
> I am almost sure there is no such thing as an Open Source Arabic OCR.
> The only people who are involved in such a thing I know of (who have
> had varying degrees of success) are Sakhr. There are probably others
> involved -- but such applications require some serious funding,
> research, equipment, etc. It's like expecting Open Source games to be
> comparable with multi-million dollar commercial games.

Would this be an area of interest to anyone to work on (I'm sure
there are enough AI freaks out there) ?  Given no on-going efforts.

I'd be more than happy to supply some pointers and info.

We have some seasoned developers that we'd like to see more action
from - Kamal.D, Wasim.Ali, etc, etc - where art thou ? :-)