RE: putty can shape now..

--- ahmad khalifa <ahmadkhalifa at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> >i haven't contacted Simon regarding this work;
> >but i think that we should work on the CVS thing first because CVS's Putty
> >is old and experiemental. Of course we need to get a CVS account etc,
> >Another thing is how to add the patch, should we add it as a source file
> >and whoever downloads the code will compile PuTTy with the changed file, or
> >by another way to present the patch  ??
>
> i think u should first ask Simon, and if he wants it as a patch, ask nadim
> about it...

Great progress Gents !!!

I think at this point you need to start populating Arabeyes' CVS.  With
M.Elzubeir's help we moved the files that Kamal was working on into a
separate dir (putty-experimental) that will be removed unless someone
claims a need for 'em and I've already created a 'putty' dir.

  http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/external/putty/

What we need to put there is the following,

 1. A README file akin to what is in the vim dir.

      http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/external/vim/

    A brief intro and a brief plan, etc.

 2. A patch file of the work you guys have done so far against PuTTY's
    source code, ie.

      $ diff -u putty_code.c.orig putty_code.c >> arabic_putty.patch

> >Ahmad, the main step now is to get a technical doc. from simon explaining
> >how we should include bidi and shaping in putty.
>
> well, i think Simon's doc will only say where to put the functions, and
> not how they should do what they do... so i think we should start working
> on the stuff while we await Simon's answer...
>
> i think we should get VIM and look at its source, i glanced at it, and i
> think its arabic patch has shaping code... we should look at that to get
> an idea of how shaping is  done...
>
> or maybe someone here is willing to tell us a little about it..??

The vim code is really bad (I'll be the first one to admit to that).
Sameer's code which was posted on the list,

  http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2003/October/msg00011.html

is a much better way to go (I'll add his code to Arabeyes CVS for safe
keeping as it was referred to a number of times already).

BTW: now that shaping is removed from the windows' interaction, we need to
     touch base with Simon (per agreed-upon plan) to see how best to proceed
     and to get Simon, et al involved in knowing we are serious in getting
     this done.  Get the code onto Arabeyes' CVS so we can mail him a link
     to get his reaction.