Re: [Bidi] Internationalized Resource Identifires (IRI)

On Yaum al-Sabt 05 Rajab 1425 10:31, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> Having gone through the examples in section-4.4, the only response
> I can give is that this is VERY confusing and doesn't seem "expected".
> I had always hoped that the transformation would go along the following
> lines when it comes to URLs/IRIs,
>  logical: http://ab.TSOHYM.MOC/ij/kl/mn/op.html
>  visual : http://ab.MYHOST.COM/ij/kl/mn/op.html
> granted that in reading the URL/IRI it would seem backwards, but I'd
> guess that alot more people would feel more appropriate with it this
> way since the format of the URL is now so ubiquitous.  In other words,
> people have gotten used to using the '.' and '/' as delimiters of sorts
> to where each entry/string is a self-contained block/paragraph.
> Example 3 really shows what I mean further - I would have guessed this
> would be more sensible to do,
> instead of
> I seem to have an issue with their explanation, for instance, in
> example-5 in which they note,
>  ''After "http://ab.cd."; one reads the RTL block "E-F-slash-G-H",
>    which corresponds to the logical representation.''
> due to the fact that I think the slash is a big enough delimiter
> that most would argue that the shear "sound" of it is not as
> important as how their eye perceives the URL/IRI due to the
> aforementioned customary delineation.
> I am alone in thinking this or is this simply too new for some
> (ie. me) to fully comprehend and get used to just yet ?

If only you will give your examples in real Arabic characters, too (in
addition of using logical/visual method). I believe
others would interact and respond much better.

Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA