Re: [Bidi] Internationalized Resource Identifires (IRI)

I guess this issue is closed.  Sounds like we need more of a
presence in the various standards committees to at least be
more aware of specifications that affect us - I wasn't aware
of this work until just recently.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
--- Begin Message ---
This is not really the best place to discuss IRI's.  They have
their own (very active) lists, and the issue has been worked on
for at least two years now, and IIRC it's already closed and
ready for implementation.

BTW, please try not to cross-post to multiple lists.

Thanks
behdad

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> --- Behnam Esfahbod <behnam at esfahbod dot info> wrote:
> > You may be interested in bidi-related issues in this page:
> > http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit
>
> Having gone through the examples in section-4.4, the only response
> I can give is that this is VERY confusing and doesn't seem "expected".
>
> I had always hoped that the transformation would go along the following
> lines when it comes to URLs/IRIs,
>
>  logical: http://ab.TSOHYM.MOC/ij/kl/mn/op.html
>  visual : http://ab.MYHOST.COM/ij/kl/mn/op.html
>
> granted that in reading the URL/IRI it would seem backwards, but I'd
> guess that alot more people would feel more appropriate with it this
> way since the format of the URL is now so ubiquitous.  In other words,
> people have gotten used to using the '.' and '/' as delimiters of sorts
> to where each entry/string is a self-contained block/paragraph.
>
> Example 3 really shows what I mean further - I would have guessed this
> would be more sensible to do,
>
>  logical: http://BUS.TSOHYM.MOC/HTAP/KNIL?GAT=EULAV;EMAN=GNIRTS
>  visual : http://SUB.MYHOST.COM/PATH/LINK?TAG=VALUE;NAME=STRING
>
> instead of
>
>  visual : http://NAME=STRING;TAG=VALUE?LINK/PATH/COM.MYHOST.SUB
>
> I seem to have an issue with their explanation, for instance, in
> example-5 in which they note,
>
>  ''After "http://ab.cd."; one reads the RTL block "E-F-slash-G-H",
>    which corresponds to the logical representation.''
>
> due to the fact that I think the slash is a big enough delimiter
> that most would argue that the shear "sound" of it is not as
> important as how their eye perceives the URL/IRI due to the
> aforementioned customary delineation.
>
> I am alone in thinking this or is this simply too new for some
> (ie. me) to fully comprehend and get used to just yet ?
>
> Regards,
>
>  - Nadim

--behdad
  behdad.org