Re: BiCon status ?

 --- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> --- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at cs dot toronto dot edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> > > Behdad can you please confirm if you have something standing. Probably
> > > not, as you are still engaged with fribidi and other bidi issues.
> >
> > I don't have anything do to with BiCon soon.  The project is just
> > a hack in my opinion, and it's almost all we can get with this
> > method.  In the future after I released GNU FriBidi, we may need
> > to make a release to reflect the new FriBidi API, but right now,
> > I don't see any reason for a release.  More importantly, the last
> > release we did was not called alpha at all by the maintainers,
> > but Arabeyes people.
>
> I beg to differ, none of the "Arabeyes people" (us plague stricken folk)
> said anything in that regard.  It was released initially with 'yyyymmdd'
> and it was discussed by both you and Mr. Alkarouri as an 'alpha',
>
>   http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/April/msg00035.html
>   http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/April/msg00038.html
>
> among other posts.
>
> The 0505 release was simply a continuation of the pre-announced alpha
> or so I at least thought (the numbering certainly leads one to believe
> that).
>
> All I'm after is a 0.1 release - not sure what the big deal is especially
> now with Behdad's comment that it already should have been a 0.1 release.

It seems that I should apologise for the misunderstanding, but I have actually
treated it and announced it as an alpha, while I was thinking of it more as a
beta, awaiting bug reports that, when they did actually come, I didn't act
upon.

That being said, there is no reason to delay. I will actually release a 0.2
release later today, skipping the 0.1 to avoid the 'odd numbers being beta'.

I hope this will clear the way to retiring the Akka project. I hope this will
also encourage other people to be involved in this project. In passing, I would
like to thank the Akka people for the experience which we were able to draw
upon to get this project in this shape, and I hope this project will be
considered a significent step forward in our experience.

Salam,
Muhammad Alkarouri