Re: Prayer time details and algorithms

--- "Mr.Amaresh N.Makal" <amaresh_makal at citilindia dot com> wrote:
> Hello Nadim Shaikli
> I'm really sorry for sending you an e-mail.Actually i had sent an e-mail
> earlier to 'developer' mailing-list.But i got an warning saying it is
> subjected to the moderator's approval. That's why I'm again addressing
> my problem to you.

You mail was approved [1] to the list (the mailing-list is subscriber post
only, so you have had to subscribe to post else you'd have to wait for
the list moderator to look into your post).

BTW: in the future do NOT mail in html (use plain text please).

The fact it wasn't replied to is nothing I can control :-)

> Again this is regarding the Islamic Prayer project.
>
> I have seen in the code, always they are converting Gregorian date to
> Julian date and then Hijrah date and vice versa.
> I didn't understood this fact? When we can directly convert Gregorian
> date to Hijrah date and vice versa, why some people are going for
> Gregorian date to Julian date and then Hijrah date ?

Its deemed easier to have all the various calendars to always be with
respect to a single zero-base line if you will (its sorta like saying
why do we need Kelvin degrees when we have Celsius and the idiotic
Fahrenheit ?).  Its simple easier when you are dealing with multiple
calendars to revert to a common starting point and work your algorithm
always from/to that one point that's all (its not a question of right
or wrong).

Continue to use the list (and subscribe if need be) for I won't answer
personal emails.

[1] http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/August/msg00019.html