Re: X.org influence

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> I'm affraid this topic has veered a bit from Anmar's initial much
> needed question on what is needed from X.org - that info is still
> needed !!  Are we ready to say we do NOT need anything from them ?

I, talking for myself, say all we need is to updated our keyboard
maps.  Nothing else that I can see right now, as a Fedora user.
Maybe just that old "fixed" fonts problem.

> > Oh, I'm afraid the consequense would be that, Kacst fonts are
> > removed from the distro, and replaced by fonts that support the
> > whole block.
>
> Behdad, I'd suggest you outline the glyphs that are needed for
> Farsi so we can at a min try to augment all our fonts with them.
> I'd also suggest you add the missing farsi fonts to KACST and
> re-release 'em under a different name (it is GPL after all) until
> such a time that the KACST folk take that requirement more seriously
> and we can open a more constructive dialog with them on this topic.

Sounds good.  Is the name copyrighted?  If not, then no need to
change the name.  Behnam, can you provide a list of glyphs as per
the spec you have been involved in?

> For the umteenth time - we really need more font expertise, can
> we setup a time on IRC to discuss font issues with the Farsi
> font experts with regard to hinting, etc, etc ?  We also need
> volunteers interested in this to raise their hands...

As I said before, I'm kinda is OpenType a pharmacy type of a guy.
Behnam and Roozbeh are our experts (plus Mehran and Soheil which
I guess are not listening here).

> Salam.
>
>  - Nadim

Cheers,