Re: [putty]RE: putty and new .exe

--- Owen Dunn <owend at chiark dot greenend dot org dot uk> wrote:
> "ahmad khalifa" <ahmadkhalifa at hotmail dot com> writes:
>
> > Simon: about the ligature issue, we need your opinion. i have
> > implemented the following method
> >
> > - during the shaping, if a ligature is found, its written to the first
> >   char and the rest are shifted 1 position toward the left. this causes
> >   right aligned paragraphs to look a bit strange. i.e right-aligned
> >   lines with 2 ligatures start 2 positions late.
> >
> > a better approach is:
> > - the Bidi function would return a value indicating paragraph level,
> >   which is the paragraph's alignment, wether right or left. then the
> >   shaping function would shift all characters after each ligatures
> >   in the direction of the paragraph.
>
> This is the wrong answer.  The right answer is to extend PuTTY's
> terminal emulator to support Unicode combining characters and
> ligatures, but as we've said before, that will require serious work
> from Simon.

I agree with Owen.  Ahmad, what you've implemented is a hack and its
good enough for now, but, as Owen noted, a more proper, correct and
perfect solution is really needed here and it looks like Simon's time
and effort is needed.

One thing to note, this feature addition to PuTTY will _not_ only
benefit Arabic (or only RTL languages), there are heaps and heaps of
languages that use ligatures.  So its something alot of people will
benefit from doubt about it.

Regards,