Re: Font help

--- Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh at sharif dot edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 04:04, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > No doubt the Vera Sans is being rendered with anti-aliasing,
> > while your hacked version not.
>
> Right.

Well, I've been trying to read all I can about this with regard
to FontLab yet still I've succumb to turning things on/off to see
if there are any improvements (ie. I'm not doing something right
I've figured that much and I sure don't know what the heck I'm
doing even :-)

> > I suggest:
> >
> >   * Have a look at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf (if you have)
> >   * Rename your font to the Vera Sans and test.
>
> Fontconfig has a mechanism for overriding hinting and smoothing info,
> but that is not turned on by default on any fonts but CJK ones. It
> listens to what the fonts is asking itself.

I have no idea what that means :-)  Is Fontconfig a tool ?  Is there
someone that can help either take this on entirely or at a minimum
spend say 20-30 minutes on IRC for me to ask some detailed questions
(again using FontLab and/or FCP).