Re: [putty]Bidi + PuTTY - done

Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> writes:

> --- Simon Tatham <anakin at pobox dot com> wrote:

> >  - It currently seems to me that bidi and shaping do not happen at
> >    all if you're using a non-UTF-8 character set such as Win1256. I
> >    imagine this is because the characters appear in the PuTTY
> >    terminal structures as D8xx rather than proper Unicode, so the
> >    bidi and shaping algorithms don't notice them. Does this happen
> >    for you as well? Does it need to be fixed before checkin?
>
> I for one will advocate we not support CP-1256 (people should
> convert over all their data to UTF-8 _now_).  We've worked VERY hard
> on getting people to lose the CP-1256 bad/nasty/stupid habit and so
> I'd suggest we simply forgo it completely.

I disagree.  No matter how preferable UTF8 may be, some people will
have Win1256, and PuTTY understands it _now_ as an encoding for
incoming data.  In my view, all Arabic should be shaped and have the
bidi algorithm applied to it, regardless of how it's encoded.

> >  - Arabeyes people: for this amount of code, you probably deserve to
> >    be credited in the PuTTY copyright notice and licence. Who should
> >    I be crediting, and precisely how?
>
> Ahmad Khalifa did 99.9% of the work (there is some shaping code that
> others contributed to in the past as noted in the shaping section).
> I'd suggest something along the lines of "Ahmad Khalifa contributed
> the majority of the Bidi and supporting Arabic code with some minor
> assistance from various Arabeyes.org volunteers and coders".

That's a bit wordy.  If you look at our current copyright notice we
just give names, and don't credit `minor assistance' (otherwise I'd be
in there!).  If Arabeyes.org can live with it, I'd prefer just to list
Ahmad Khalifa in the copyright notice.  Of course assistance from
arabeyes.org will be noted in the release announcement of the first
release to support bidi and Arabic shaping!

(S)