Re: [putty]Bidi + PuTTY - done

--- Owen Dunn <owend at chiark dot greenend dot org dot uk> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> writes:
>
> > A great deal of what is left requires expert PuTTY knowledge
> > (ie. Simon) so we tried to break things down into smaller pieces to
> > better focus on issues and to try to work out a reasonable schedule
> > (the patch, though, is ready to go and is ready for inclusion).
> >
> >   http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/external/putty/
>
> Thanks.  That looks mostly sane from a first glance.  I'll try to take
> a closer look this weekend, and doubtless Simon will at some point
> too.

Great - thanks.

> I suggest renaming your ExtTextOut() wrapper to something like
> raw_textout() rather than do_arabic_textout since it's called for
> everything and not just Arabic text.

Sure, we'll take all such suggestions/feedback and roll 'em in at
once (so do please keep a list of changes) as we're sure Simon will
have some comments as well.

> >   + Phase-3     (requires help/direction from Simon)
> >     - Look into and properly handle Control/Escape sequences
>
> What do you mean by this?

Well, cursor movement is handled in part via escape sequences and
since Bidi is not currently part of that whole aspect, the cursor
doesn't end-up where you expect it to end-up, etc.  These issues
get a bit involved (as we're sure Simon knows) and so we'll need
some help and direction with this regard.

Here's a very basic listing (thanks google :-),

  http://www.catalyst.com/support/help/cstools3/visual/terminal/escapeseq.html

> >     - vim/emacs/etc should run properly within putty with Arabic
>
> You're going to have to help us on these; we have very little idea of
> what vim or emacs do with respect to Arabic or what PuTTY might need
> to do to assist this.

Sure, we're here to help each other.  The issues here are mostly
with regards to the escape sequences (mlterm.sf.net is a good example
to follow).

> > Do please note that even if none of the other phases are completed,
> > the patch as it stands now is EXTREMELY useful and should be included
> > ASAP.
> >
> > PS: with regards to be being busy, etc.  Do please simply
> >     let us know when to expect a reply from ya so we can
> >     plan accordingly (and not keep bothering you :-)
>
> We should be able to say something more about the patch by next week.
> Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Great, we'll look forward to your comments so as to get the patch
adopted ASAP as well as your thoughts on the outlined phases and
future work.

Regards,