Re: [putty]Bidi + PuTTY - done

Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> writes:

> Ahmad has written his own Bidi code (as is evident from Arabeyes'
> CVS repository and the README file) to get this done.

Excellent!  That neatly side-steps all licensing problems as well as
ensuring that we don't have any excess baggage from an existing
implementation.

> A great deal of what is left requires expert PuTTY knowledge
> (ie. Simon) so we tried to break things down into smaller pieces to
> better focus on issues and to try to work out a reasonable schedule
> (the patch, though, is ready to go and is ready for inclusion).
>
>   http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/external/putty/

Thanks.  That looks mostly sane from a first glance.  I'll try to take
a closer look this weekend, and doubtless Simon will at some point
too.

I suggest renaming your ExtTextOut() wrapper to something like
raw_textout() rather than do_arabic_textout since it's called for
everything and not just Arabic text.

>     - Fix visual space after combined character (LAM+ALEF -> LAA)
>     - Fix composing characters (fatha/damma/etc)

These two are the same issue programmatically; they both require us to
fix the terminal emulator to handle lines with more code points than
character cells.

>   + Phase-3     (requires help/direction from Simon)
>     - Look into and properly handle Control/Escape sequences

What do you mean by this?

>     - vim/emacs/etc should run properly within putty with Arabic

You're going to have to help us on these; we have very little idea of
what vim or emacs do with respect to Arabic or what PuTTY might need
to do to assist this.

> Do please note that even if none of the other phases are completed,
> the patch as it stands now is EXTREMELY useful and should be included
> ASAP.
>
> PS: with regards to be being busy, etc.  Do please simply
>     let us know when to expect a reply from ya so we can
>     plan accordingly (and not keep bothering you :-)

We should be able to say something more about the patch by next week.
Thanks for all your hard work on this.

(S)