Re: Upcoming QaMoose work

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:35:58AM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Here are my plans for the upcoming QaMoose-2.0 (speak-up if you see glaring
> holes and/or issues).
>
> I will be adding DICT protocol to QaMoose so that we can access our newly
> created Wordlist.  QaMoose will then function as a web-client capable of
> accessing a DICT server.  I'm unsure yet if it will be hardcoded to our
> server only (via configuration of course) or user defined on the webpage
> to go access any dictd server out there (this is rather minor in the
> scope of things though).

That's a good idea.
I think it should be tied to our server only, Since I'm not aware of any
Arabic dict server running.
Maybe after this, We can add other options now.
and BTW: That's what i'm going to do with Katoob. i.e: I'm not telling
you to do anything that i don't _personally_ think is bad ;-)

>   perl-client http://search.cpan.org/author/NEILB/Net-Dict-2.07/
This'd be fine. We can see how did they implement it.

>   Emacs       http://me.in-berlin.de/~myrkr/dictionary/index.html
YUK!

> and are mentioned here in case someone has further interest or likes to
> see how I ended-up doing what I'm doing.
>
> Here is a bit more detail on my plans.
>
>  1. Keep all of QaMoose's functionality as is (ie. local mysql, etc).
>     This is used primarily for people entering new words which they
>     deem to be part of the vocabulary (ie. suggesting will still be there)
>  2. Public queries (ie. not admin approve/reject) will access the DICT
>     server automatically.  Admin approve/reject will, of course, probe
>     the local mysql entries.
>  3. Add a means to take approved entries from the local mysql and either,
>     a. Create a supplementary dictionary out of them for local use only
>        which would require hand insertion into the golden wordlist
>     b. Automate the process described in step-a via possibly either a
>        cron job and/or user prompt via the web form.
>     c. Look into a native DICT method to do this (will require more
>        research into DICF and/or engaging with DICT folk about protocol
>        enhancement to create an 'augment' method)
>
> Initially I will shooting for 3a (so as not to delay any further) and will
> work on 2.x which will include other options.  This is no rocket science,
> I just wanted to be clear and verbose.
>
> I will post again on this topic once I have a test fixture in place.
>
> Comments ?
I didn't understand the above choises ?
Maybe we need:
get matches from The local MySQL db
and from the dict server.
If anyone wants to add a new entry, It should be approved 1st.
And it can be added to the word lists.

Or a better thing.
Why don't we merge the MySQL db with the wordlists, Then QaMoose'll
function as a point to enter new words and a dict client ?

PS. I'll be happy to help though my time is limited somehow these days
"as u can all notice"

--
-- Katoob Main Developer