Re: LibQuran XML Data Question

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:06:22AM -0800, Mete Kural wrote:
> Salaamun Aleykum,
>
> Mashallah the LibQuran project is very impressive. I
> was wondering what the copyright terms were for the
> XML files in the data directory. Is it possible to use
> LibQuran as a backend for a website to facilitate the
> reading of the Quran online?

You most certainly can -- that's wha it's there for ;)

> The readme file in the CVS says that the files in the
> data directory are not under GNU GPL. I can understand
> this because the Quran translations probably have
> authors that are different than the authors of the
> LibQuran project. It also notes that they are not to
> be modified freely. I have two question about
> modifications:
>
> 1) Is it allowed to make modifications at the
> character level? For example fixing typos, escpecially
> the ones in the Arabic XML file.

You may only submit corrections to us here so we can make them to
the data files directly. If there are such mistakes, they will be taken
care of immediately.

This is done via the bugzilla system: http://bugs.arabeyes.org/

> 2) Is it allowed to change the XML structure of the
> files without touching the text itself?

You can, but you may want to reflect those changes back to the author(s).
That is, the authors of the XML structure (and not the actual text).

My answers are not final, and the author(s) of the project may have a different
view than mine -- but I think this goes along the same lines of the previous
discussion on the subject.

Thank you.
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: