Re: emacs-bidi - funtional/ready, now what ?

--- TAKAHASHI Naoto <ntakahas m17n org> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli writes:
>
> > Greetings, now that emacs-bidi has been around for over 6-months
> > in its current very functional state, what can be said about its
> > future and its possible inclusion into emacs' CVS tree ?
>
> The current version never goes into the main tree.  Actually, it uses
> algorithms that have already been rejected to be included.

Any further details ?  Are there competing algorithms out there
that are deemed "acceptable" ?

> >  1. Post a reference on gnu.emacs.sources
> >  2. Ask for beta testers on gnu.emacs.help
>
> Advertising the current version is greatly welcome.

I'm a bit confused.  If the algorithm has been rejected and passed
over what's the plan then ?  Advertising the current code will
certainly get testers (or we all hope so), but then what ?
The algorithm will continue to be rejected, no ? or is there
hope that with enough users we can sway the decision makers ?

> >  3. Get the author to present a polished version of his changes to RMS
> >     - they will then to go the Emacs Devel list, and be debated there
>
> A "pollished" version will not do; a drastic change is required.

Could you please elaborate on the "change".

> > Could someone with a bit more visibility into what's taking shape
> > within emacs let us know how best to proceed to make emacs-bidi an
> > included native functionality within emacs proper ?
>
> If someone writes better code for bidi, it may be included in the
> 'official' GNU Emacs.  The problem is, none of the programmers who can do
> it has time to do it.  If you know a capable programmer, please ask
> him/her to give us a hand.

"Better" how ?  I unfortunately don't know (e)lisp and nor do I know
anyone how does which leaves us in a rather peculiar position.  Has
RMS or the emacs developers given a clear statement on what it is
that they'd like to see or not (URL) ?  Is there a means for us to
elevate Bidi's inclusion on their list of things to do ?

With most people short on time being the norm - is there a document or
a set of people with enough acumen that can put all those thoughts and
pointers into a document for someone to pick up ?

I guess to the state the obvious - emacs will NEVER have Bidi support
unless we make a clear and conscious decision to include it and abide
by any rules RMS or others dictate along the way - I'm simply searching
for a means to know how best to bring that forth; I wasn't aware that
the current code was rejected (nor did I see any discussion about that).

What's m17n's position on this ?  It doesn't sound like you're going
any further with it - anyway to change that aspect of thing ?

Sorry for the many questions.

Regards.