Re: python-bsddb3 on woody

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 04:23:08AM -0700, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that you are the maintainer of the Debian python-bsddb3 package.
> I am just curious at to the possibility of this working for Python2.2.
> Seeing that you can install python2.2 on woody, would it be possible
> to get python-bsddb3 to work for python2.2?

There is python2.2-bsddb3 in testing. There should be python2.3-bsddb3,
but I haven't had much time to work on it for several months. :(

> Let me explain myself ;)
>
> Python2.1 has very little unicode support. You can only decode and there
> are no encoding functions. This has changed in 2.2. I am working on an
> Arabic spellchecker that is written in Python
> (http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=duali). Duali also relies on
> bsddb3.

No need to explain. I am pleased however, to hear that someone is
using this package.

I think sarge is going with python 2.3, in which case I will probably
drop 2.1 support, and supply 2.2 and 2.3 versions of the package.

> Just recently, I managed to coerce one of the members of our project
> into creating debian packages for Duali. Problem now, python-bsddb3
> installs for Python2.1 only ;)
>
> So.. what can we do here? Is it something you were planning to do?
> Anything I can help with, or is it even possible (ie. acceptable).

The easiest thing for you to do is either upgrade to testing, or rebuild
the python-bsddb3 source package from testing on woody.

	---Nathan