Re: duali debian packages ( was about duali-data )

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 06:13:42AM -0700, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:41:31AM +0300, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> >
> > I'm really sorry for being late,
> > Maybe i'm not working as i've used to :-(
> >
> > I've completed the packages but i didn't test them well as i'm using a
> > pure woody system and duali require python2.2-bsddb which is only
> > available in unstable.
> >
> > What's next ?
> >

> Well.. looks like I'm going to have to write a whole bunch of code to
> ensure backward compatibility with versions of python prior to 2.2, as
> well as the bsddb1 (currently using bsddb3).
>
> I guess we can't really package it without those additions. Sounds
> reasonable enough to make a 0.1.1 then. I'll make those additions, but I
> really am not sure of the implications in terms of unicode support.
> Python's unicode support was "okay" in 2.1.. but nice by 2.2. This may
> (must check first) effect the multiple encodings support.

sid and sarge has a python2.2-bsddb3 package but not woody

$ apt-cache policy python2.2-bsddb3
python2.2-bsddb3:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version Table:
     3.3.0-5.2 0
         -1 ftp://ftp.jp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
         -1 ftp://ftp2.it.debian.org testing/main Packages

same for python 2.1

> Debian woody does have a python2.2 pkg. I am not sure about the pybsddb
> pkg (http://pybsddb.sourceforge.net).
there is python2.2 but not pybsddb

> We can wait till I hack up a ver 0.1.1 with backward compatibility, or
> pkg this and do it again with better compatibility.
>
> Your call (since you're doing the work).

I don't think that we need to repackage or hack it if the aim is trying
to push it into debian. since the requirements are in both stable and
unstable
the problem'll be testing the packages. I can fire a request to package
bug report and ask for a sponsor on debian mentors. But still the same
problem. How can it be tested ?

But if the aim is to provide a woody package for now then i think that
the hack is required.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer