Re: generic multimedia reader ?

--- Mohammed Yousif <mhdyousif gmx net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 23:30, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

[snip snip]

> >  1. Has anyone given thought to extending the current 'quran' project
> >     to include Hadith or a means to link it in somehow ?  Seems like
> >     a logical next step.
>
> I thought of including some books about Qur'an scienses, tafser,
> ahkam telawa...etc.  However I found it a huge task to convert
> those books to an electronic format so I gave up.

I think a number of people have thought of this (it does seem like a
logical next step); in terms of it being a huge task to convert books
that's debatable (it might be for one or two people, but don't
underestimate the power of volunteerism - given enough interest and
some talks with various online venues, this could be easier than we
imagine -- plus you seem to get volunteers looking for work on a daily
basis :-).  For instance, Mr. Mohamed Aser recently posted to this
list his intentions to do just that on a book (or a few).  So again,
given a robust mechanism that would allow the inclusion of more media
(books, audio, etc), I really would _not_ be surprised if people start
contributing more data.  The data format and specification might need
to be broadened and formalized thus leading to point #2 below.

> >  2. Start a new project (similar to 'quran') which is more generic in its
> >     purpose and content.  In other words, call it a 'generic reader' or a
> >     'multimedia browser'.  This agent/application would have a generic
> >     means of displaying whatever is given to it in a particular format
> >     (say like in an XML file or something).  It would be able to display
> >     pictures, text, etc.  The main purpose of such a thing would be to
> >     bring forth a means to display children's stories and various other
> >     learning/teaching material.  Given a particular file format
> >     specification people can port any (and all of their) stories, teaching
> >     documents, etc (could even be the Holy Quran itself) and be displayed.
>
> Interesting, I would like to add that it should also be suitable for
> converting books to an electronic format meaning that it should not be
> only for children and a unified format for these books should be there.

Very true.  I was using the children's books as an example to show a
potential simple and useful usage model.  But you are absolutely correct,
if this is done right and its generic and capable enough (possibly via
the inclusion of plug-ins or similar), then the sky is the limit in terms
of usage models.

> I will try to give some ideas later

Wonderful !!