Re: Need Arabic font and test doc for testing Vim patch

--- Steve Hall <digitect mindspring com> wrote:

> Stupid question: English, non-Arabic speaker here wants to see Arabic
> Vim in action. Seems like three things are needed:
>
> * Arabic text document
> * Arabic font
> * Instructions for setting the correct encoding. (:set encoding=utf-8)
>
> Could anybody here help me with the first two? I'd prefer a native
> speaker mail me a very short doc with an interlined English
> translation. (Perhaps a quick advocacy for Arabeyes.org!) I'm also
> wondering where (in addition to the Unix fonts listed at
> http://www.arabeyes.org/resources.php) I might find a Windows font
> that is freely distributable. Any pointers?

Hi Steve, thanks again for all your help and for lending us a much
needed hand in pushing the patch forward.  I'm attaching an Arabic
sample file (mostly arabic) that tests a number of things (Arabic
is a rather complicated language with many exceptions in how things
need to look and so this file has become my "litmus" test for
applications claiming arabic support :-)

In terms of fonts - microsoft has some (as was noted earlier); you
can also find others on arabeyes' resource page (note "Free Fonts"
section).  The complete 10x20 font file is also floating around (I'm
not sure if its on the resource page -- M.Elzubeir is it ? If not
could you please include it :-)

The instructions have already been pasted or you can read the entire
Readme file,

  http://cvs.arabeyes.org/cvsweb/projects/external/vim/README?rev=1.5

> I'd like to post these with our Arabic-supporting Vim binaries so that
> non-speakers can reliably test. (And broaden all our horizons a bit.)

No problem.  I asked at one point Bram and the website maintainer to
include Arabic screenshots of vim, but I never heard back (I had mailed
them the shots).

Thanks again for your help and interest.