Fwd: Re: Wine, Bidi, and Arabic

Subject: Re: Wine, Bidi, and Arabic
Date: Wednesday 08 January 2003 07:57
From: Shachar Shemesh <arabeyes at sun dot consumer dot org dot il>
To: Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi at arabeyes dot org>

Hi Isam,

I have not heard from you after my last email. I hope all is well.

The current status is that Wine should display Arabic more or less
(well, more less than more, but quite readable anyways) in the right
order. There is no joining or glyphing support as of yet. There is not
likely to be either unless Behdad puts it into FriBiDi, or you get me
someone to do it in Wine (or at least QA it). In any case, I'm talking
about somewhat long-term, as there are bigger problems to handle than
even the proper reordering. There is also some chance the IBM will
(finally) release their patch (partial though it is).

There is one thing that does need doing to get Arabic to work, though.
You absolutely need to define an Arabic keyboard in Wine. This
essentially involves editing dlls/x11drv/keyboard.c to include an Arabic
keyboard layout. Without this change you will not be able to type Arabic
characters.

I have talked to Jeremy White, CEO of Code Weavers. Someone called
"Hetz" is actively pushing them to add support for Hebrew Office 2K to
CrossOver office. I find it very hard to believe that Arabic is too far
behind, but the whole deal will only go through if he feels there is
enough market there to justify the extra work. We could sure use your
help in creating demand for this.

I'm hoping to be able to cooperate in order to bring the open source
solutions to as many people as possible.

                Shachar