Re: Vim Arabic patch update needed

--- Steve Hall <digitect mindspring com> wrote:

> I maintain some Windows platform binaries of Vim, and was recently
> contacted by someone requesting patch information for Arabic support.
> After some investigation, I've found that the currently available
> patch on Arabeyes
> (http://www.arabeyes.org/download/external/vim/arabic_shape61.patch)
> for this is patched against Vim's original 6.1 source, and does not
> reflect any of the 271 official Vim patches since then.
>
> I'd like to create a binary with this patched in, but need the author
> (Nadim Shaikli?) to help me create a new patch against current Vim
> source.

Greetings, for me to keep the patch upto date with each minor change
to the CVS Vim code would mean that I would have to drop everything
else that I'm doing and simply keep and eye on Vim development (which
I did in the early days - about 1.5 years ago) - since then we've made
a conscious decision to simply patch the released versions.  If Bram
(Vim's maintainer) finally decides to include the patch, I would be
more than happy to update the patch to reflect whatever is in the
repository, but until then its simply a game of cat-n-mouse.

> My understanding from the Vim developer list
> (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vimdev/message/30551) is that this
> might be able to become an official Vim patch if it can somehow get
> some more testing. Our binaries (http://cream.sf.net/vim.html) get a
> lot of use, so I figure we could help the effort if we could just get
> a new patch.

There have been a number of responses posted on the 'developer at arabeyes'
list with more to come (ARABEYES USERS - PLEASE POST YOUR RESPONSES ASAP !!!)

In short, I/we would love to do this, but we want to make sure we are
not simply coding-up changes awaiting more changes to come - so if there
is a commitment from the maintainer to include it then we're ready to
stomp on this thing once-n-for-all :-)  Hope that helps.