Re: Arabic vim patch

--- "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine mechelynck belgacom net> wrote:

[snip snip]

>      9. Fire up the unpatched 6.1.320 and try to open test_doc_ar_utf8.txt
> (as modified above). No arabic glyphs displayed. :set enc? fenc? answers
> encoding=utf-8 fileencoding=utf-8. :quit
>     10. Fire up the patched 6.1.320. Same results as with the unpatched
> binary. :quit.
>
> Conclusion: The culprit seems to be some patch between 300 (excluded) and
> 320 (included).

Glad to hear that the Arabic patch is not the culprit/problem :-)

I would consequently suggest the following,

 1. Review the comments/intent on all the patches,
     a. Those that haven't been accepted yet (not part of Vim's CVS)
     b. The official patches (301 - 320)
    to see if any address the problem area or touch it.

 2. If #1 doesn't reveal any suspects, do a binary search on the
    patches by testing them.  In other words, test 310 and see if
    there are any problems if no, then test 315; if 310 exhibited
    the problem go to 305, etc until you narrow it down.

    I would also suggest not including the unofficial patches and
    test out the sanctioned 320 code only for now - that way you
    exclude any code that hasn't been inspected and blessed by Bram :-)

Hope that helps, but I am most certainly glad to hear that the Arabic
patch wasn't the cause of your headaches.

At some point, I would like to get some reaction to the Arabic patch
and its possible inclusion into Vim's main trunk.

Regards,