Re: libquran and searching

On Saturday 15 February 2003 11:56, Ahmad Kamal wrote:
> >Okay, the next task is a simple one :-)
> >Just search this mailing-list archives for 'Warsh' and then feel free to
> >continue discussing that.
>
> well I did my search, I found two threads and read them. As far as I
> understand, this Warsh and Qa'loon thing is a modified reading of the
> quran, and I should modify quran_read_verse to optionally read any of those
> readings, am I right?
>
> Please I need more explanations of what is required before I can begin, as
> I don't know what Warsh really is in quran :(

okay.
The Qur'an is pronounced using several known ways, the most popular
one is (Hafs 3an 3asim) which you can see in almost all 'masa7ef' in
Egypt.
Another popular "Qira'a" is (Warsh 3an 3asim), it's widely used in
Maghrib countries.
Every way uses a different notation, for example:
in Hafs---> feh is represented as ف
but in Warsh---> feh is represented as ف but without the dot
So while they all carry the same words (and the same order),
they differ in the way words are presented and in other symbols
used to identify special "Tajweed" rules.

So you need to modify quran_read_verse to make it able to
return other Qira'at as well, something like:
quran_read_verse(.....etc,int Qiraa)

There are 7 popular Qira'at that we would like to have but for now
concentrate on Warsh because I bought "Warsh" Mushaf from this
year's book fair and because it is the second most popular one after
Hafs.
So the xml should have the current schema:
<aya id=?>
	<qurantext>.......<qurantext>
	<searchtext>......<searchtext>
	<warsh>.....</warsh>
</aya>
This means that you should modify the xml functions too; this includes
the callbacks to recognize the new <warsh> tag.

I hope it's clear now :-)

--
Mohammed Yousif
"She is in my mind and soul, I love her with all my heart and blood".