Re: Arabic vim patch (was - BAD BUG)

Steve Hall <digitect at mindspring dot com> wrote:
> Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
>  > Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Tony, the best way to approach this is to do the following,
>  > >
>  > > 1. Obtain a vim with the 320 patches without the Arabic patch
>  > > 2. Obtain a vim with the 320 patches with    the Arabic patch
>  >
>  > OK. The latter is available on the Cream project -- where can I get
>  > a w32 binary of the former, anybody?
>
> I've put up a second binary with the same specs except for Nadim's
> patch:
>
>    http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html
>   (http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim61-320-binary.zip)
>
> HTH.
>
> --
> Steve Hall  [ {digitect} at {mindspring} dot {com} ]

OK. Here is what I did:

    1. Download the unpatched 6.1.320 binary. Unzip to
D:\download\vim\vimarabic\. Copy its gvim.exe to C:\Program
Files\vim\vim61\gvim320n.exe.
    2. Download the patched 6.1.320 binary. Unzip to
D:\download\vim\noarabic\. Copy its gvim.exe to C:\Program
Files\vim\vim61\gvim320a.exe.
    3. Make copies of my Arabic project .BAT and .PIF files, changing only
the name of the executable (the originals, where gvim points to the patched
6.1.300, are kept).
    4. Download text_doc_ar_utf8.txt to my Arabic project directory.
    5. Try to open test_doc_ar_utf8.txt in WordPad. Weird display.
Apparently it doesn't see that it is UTF-8.
    6. Fire up the patched 6.1.300 and try to open test_doc_ar_utf8.txt.
Display is weird. :set fenc? answers fileencoding=iso-8859-15 . Open it
again with ++enc=utf-8. Arabic glyphs are displayed in 'rightleft' or
'norightleft' mode
    7. :set bomb ff=dos | :x
    8. Try to open the modified file (the only changes being the addition of
a BOM and the switchover to DOS-type ends-of-lines) in WordPad. Displays OK
in Courier New, displays beautifully in Arabic Traditional. Exit WordPad
without saving.
    9. Fire up the unpatched 6.1.320 and try to open test_doc_ar_utf8.txt
(as modified above). No arabic glyphs displayed. :set enc? fenc? answers
encoding=utf-8 fileencoding=utf-8. :quit
    10. Fire up the patched 6.1.320. Same results as with the unpatched
binary. :quit.

Conclusion: The culprit seems to be some patch between 300 (excluded) and
320 (included).

Tony.