Re: farsi. farsi! farsi? farsi: (fwd)

Salaam, Arabeyesers..

 --- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at cs dot toronto dot edu> wrote:
> FARSI.
> Yes.
> ;-)
>
> Disclaimer 1: This is not a Persian vs Farsi war message.
> Disclaimer 2: CC to FarsiWeb list is just informational.
> Disclaimer 3: The attached code is not in Public Domain.
> Disclaimer 4: This is a long boring message.  Your own risk.

Got it.

> Note: No attachment.  I have put 100kb tarball at:
> http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~behdad/farsistuff.tar.gz
> It would hang there for a couple of weeks.

Thanks. Will do nicely.

> Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Behdad for your reply. I would like to know,
> > though, what is the expected timeframe of including
> > joining in fribidi.
>
> 2005.  No more, no less ;-).
> Seriously, this winter.

It will be good news.

> In the future, ncurses should implement its own bidi/shaping.
> But before that, both ncurses and gpm need to get some stable
> Unicode support.  I am supposed to have a look at Unicode support
> in ncurses after I'm satisfied with GNOME (FriBidi, Pango, GTK+,
> AbiWord), but most probably it's not before 2005.

Good, though I hope something will have already be done by then;)

> I have attached my latest code, and hopefully with my comments at
> the end of this message, you can make it fully functional.  Last
> time I tried there were things that needed some change to work in
> laters Red Hat systems.  Mainly, consolechars is dropped and
> setfont should be used instead.

I have already seen the consolechars problem. It's the same as in the last
Akka.

> It would be nice if someone autotoolsize it.  Other changes I
> have mentioned later.

Yes. The world uses autotools. I got it.

> Roozbeh's and mine are in LGPL.  (Roozbeh?).  It means all the
> library code.  The keymap is in public domain.  The font, is
> based on Dmitry Bokhovityanov's VGA font that I have donated
> Arabic glyphs.  There are some mapping tables and other stuff in
> fonts dir done by me, that are in public domain.  You can check
> the license using Google.  Remains the hard part:

I think this settles the matter. Thanks a lot.

> The code I borrowed from script(1), which is the skeleton of
> farsi/fcon/fcon.c, has a "BSD with advertisement clause" license.
> You need to read it yourself and read through fsf.org to find out
> what we can do.  I guess it should remain in that dirty kind of
> BSD license forever.  No problem, can still link to the LGPLed
> library.
>
> One way is to cut my code out of that and place it in a GPLed
> container, that the Akka project should already have.  It's just
> a simple master/slave pty layer.  My code is the highly commented
> part in farsi/fcon/fcon.c -- lines 200 to 350.  I mean this is
> the part that is just my code, and the engine of the bidi
> terminal itself.  The rest is very easy to find or reimplement.

Will have a go at it.

> keymap/isiri2901.kmap.gz
> This is the standard keyboard map for Persian.  It's outdated and
> should be upgraded.  I would provide a new one later.

I think we will include isiri2901.kmap.gz till you provide the next one.
Everyone (Arabeyes). I think we need a unicode keyboard map for Arabic. I
cannot find one and I don't have the knowledge to create one. Please help.

Thanks Behdad for the code and the mail. I believe that you are in the
developer mailing list, so I will not cc you every message.

While the Arabeyes community figures out what the next version will be called
and the details of the credits, I will try to check the various code licenses
and to get into the habit of autotooling..

I will contribute to the Akka 2 (or whatever name) in shaa Allah, as based on
farsi.

Regards,

Muhammad Alkarouri
MSc Telecommunication and Information Systems
RHCE

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save £80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21064/*http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk